The Jacob K. Javits Convention Center is a 5-block long structure on the west side of Manhattan. Click here for more photos.NYC was in need of a larger convention center - the Coliseum at Columbus Circle, dating back to 1950, had been outgrown; it was also considered very unattractive and disliked by many New Yorkers. The new center was designed by I.M. Pei & Partners and completed in 1986. It was named for Jacob K. Javits, a New York senator who died the year of the center's completion. The building aspires to be the Crystal Palace of our time. The building is a long assemblage of clear glass rectilinear forms held together with a steel space-frame system. The feel is light and airy, unlike the windowless treatment of many convention centers. The center hosts nearly 100 shows per year; yesterday I attended the annual PhotoPlus Expo - click here for photos. In spite of its mammoth size, the actual exhibition space is considered inadequate for larger trade shows - a new expansion is currently being planned - an increase of 45% along with a hotel, completion due in 2010 ...
Great looking structure, bet it throws some interesting shadows.
ReplyDeleteI saw your pic on Daily City Photo and knew it had to be the Javits (been to a few conventions there myself) Great Shot!
ReplyDeleteThanks. And isn't it ironic - I wasn't even planning on shooting or carrying a camera through the Photo show but I decided to grab my point and shoot before leaving. So these were shot with my old Canon S400.
ReplyDeleteBrian
I took the bar exam in the Javits Center. Such bad memories.
ReplyDeleteIt's great ! Well, it looks to. It can't been seen totally. But ... yeah, I like this !
ReplyDeleteThe photolinks show more of the structure.
ReplyDeleteBrian
Great shots!! I really like that style of architecture, with a lot of space and glass.
ReplyDeleteA hotel is probably a good idea because you can never get a cab at the end of the day !