New York Daily Photo Analytics

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Hispanic Day Parade

Sunday, October 8, 2006, saw 5th Ave. closed from 44th Street to 72nd Street for the Hispanic Day Parade, which has been celebrated in NYC since 1965. The parade honors 21 countries with thousands of marchers and hundreds of thousands of viewers. "This glorious event celebrates the best of all the cultures and folkloric pride of all our Hispanic countries and those who now call New York City their home," said Jose Leon, president of the Hispanic Day Parade Committee. The Latin community is known for their outgoing, vibrant cultures as seen in their music, food etc. No better evidence of this is found than in the costumes in this parade, which was a veritable riot of color. See other photos here. I was surprised to learn that Hispanics make up 30% of NYC's population. We are well reminded that NYC is truly a melting pot of cultures and immigrants ...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Caught a bit of this while waiting for an OHNY line...those Viking-type guys were great. Very colorful parade- I will definitely check it out next year if it doesn't conflict with OHNY again. The 30% number doesn't surprise me at all- I suspect it's rising too.

Brian Dubé said...

I was also headed to an OHNY site when I caught this by accident.
Brian

Curly said...

Great colour and movement in this shot Bryan, looks an exciting event.

Curly's Photoshop

Sarah said...

Very beautiful photo! The colors and light are amazing.

Brian Dubé said...

Thanks - I really liked the colors on this shot also. It' funny - this photo was taken quite spontaneously - I didn't even know the parade was on when I got uptown - I was headed elsewhere. Always good to have a camera when you can.
Brian

Carol E. said...

I love your wonderful blog! Great pictures and lots to learn about NY. Keep up the great work.

Anonymous said...

as Bono sings in "New York"
Irish, Italians, Jews & Hispanic, religious nuts, political fanatics in a stew
Nice shot -- I like the moment you chose.

Anonymous said...

Q: Since when the Latino women wear skirts that show their knees?

A: Dis iz Noo Yawk Ciry. Heea Latino chicks weea skirts dat show der butts. You gorra problem wid dat? (red eye, and a gun click)