New York Daily Photo Analytics

Friday, February 23, 2007

Barbie

Barbie has apparently changed her look. When I saw this striking window display at the MAC cosmetics store at 113 Spring Street in SOHO, I felt a little foolish - I went inside and asked a salesperson what the theme was and she said incredulously - "why, it's Barbie!" Barbie Loves MAC is one of the looks they are now featuring. Barbie is big right now - the current March, 2007 Vanity Fair has a Q&A interview with the new MAC Barbie doll. I'm fascinated with this country's fascination with Barbie - she is a major icon with her share of controversy. This is way too large a subject to get into here - Barbie is a doll, a collectible, an idol, a role model, an industry and a syndrome (Barbie Syndrome). She has a full name (Barbara Millicent Roberts), a birthday (3/9/1959), a birthplace (Willows Wisconsin), a fascinating history, different looks and wardrobes, plenty of ethnically diverse friends, occupations, pets and cars. And of course there have been parodies and lawsuits. There are Black and Hispanic Barbies. And pink is her color. For the first time it appears she has some competition - Bratz is closing in ...

8 comments:

Ianqui said...

Millicent? That's fascinating. It's one of those names like Hortense or Mildred--if Barbie had been born a little later, I can be pretty sure that her middle name wouldn't be Millicent.

indieperfumes said...

Doesn't Barbie look a little like a cross between a blonde Morticia and Brittney? Not as wholesome as she used to be...

Brian Dubé said...

Yes, she definitely has some edge now, keeping with the trends. Much fuller lips.
Brian

Missy,Mrs and Mum said...

oh no!! Barbie has had Botox!!!

angela said...

I can't believe she's still popular.

Great photo, so colourful and the way the light hits her face does look sinister.
Angela

Anonymous said...

So funny! I had no idea that Barbie had a "birthday," a "hometown," etc.!

I do know that MY Barbie when I was young was single, independent and had her own apartment! Something I couldn't wait to do myself! And I did. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that "work" came along with all those things! Sigh.....

Anonymous said...

The colors in this photograph are stunning.

Brian Dubé said...

I hate to blog and promote large retailers like MAC, but this window was stunning.
Brian