New York Daily Photo Analytics

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Contrast

As I have stated previously in this blog, it is easy to become inured to vistas, regardless of where or how dramatic - and it is no different in New York City. It frequently takes a change in mindset or perhaps conditions to jog ones perception and see something anew. I see the view in the photo on a daily basis - looking uptown from lower Broadway in SOHO, with the Chrysler building and Grace Church framed perfectly by the chasm formed by the buildings. Of course, I do notice, but I really don't appreciate it the way an unfamiliar observer would. On this day however, the cloud formations were spectacular and moving rapidly - in the course of nine minutes I had six very different photos. This kind of drama between clouds and buildings doesn't occur that often and even the jaded, hardened New Yorker can't help but notice. On June 22, 2006, I posted a most remarkable cloud occurrence (click here) and provided a link to the Cloud Appreciation Society - no surprise, I suppose that there are groups and websites exclusively oriented to clouds. Sorry, today there is no architectural dissertation, social commentary, history or NYC factoids - just some cloud and vista appreciation. After all, this is supposed to be a photoblog :) ...

15 comments:

Doug said...

The Chrysler is my favorite NYC building. The first time I saw it was in 1980 when I was visiting a friend from college. He live in Tudor City and had a view of the Chrysler building from his tiny apartment.

calusarus said...

This view reminds me first images of ID4 !

Nestor Family said...

This photo is my favorite of yours so far. Nice work.

Dina said...

great job!! i think the black n' white made it that much more intresting!! Your facts & history of each picture is just added bonus...it IS A photoblog!! with personality!

jbworks said...

Brian ... I have only been to NY three times for a week each time and have been lucky to catch such perspectives ... the canyon effect is NY to me ... awesome imagery

poody said...

wow reminds me of a canyon if you will.

Pedi said...

Great picture, i love yor blog!

Brian Dubé said...

Thanks all - Although I am not a black and white afficionado, I did think that for this image, black and white served the subject better, enhancing the drama of the setting. Seems like I struck a nerve.

An Honest Man said...

The photo speaks for itself. I've always thought cloud formations were usually better in black and white - no distractions really.

Anonymous said...

Love this photo, great blog cheers me up every day seeing your photo's when i'm stuck in England !!

Anonymous said...

Ohh, amazing picture of my favourite NY building. I'd frame this and put it on a wall. Excellent!

ehanson said...

This is a great photo on many levels. The streetscape, the steeple, Chrysler and the clouds. I really love this photo.

You should sell a calendar or a book of your work. I'd buy it.

Anonymous said...

I love b/w photos, and you've done a very, very nice job here. Kind of a timeline: 'now, then, now' loop.
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Breathtaking Brian!

Anonymous said...

Incredibly effective in B&W - the clouds are spectacular and the backlighting of the Chrysler building is eerie. I agree with monika n. that you should frame it and hang it or sell it, or at the very least, enter it in a competition, Brian. Thank you for sharing it with us.