New York Daily Photo Analytics

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Sisterhood

New York City is one large film set. The streets, parks and other outdoor settings are used as well as studios such as Silvercup - click here. At any given time there dozens of films, commercials, TV shows, music videos not to mention amateur or student productions (NYU has one of the best film schools in the country). The mayor's office of film has a website of current productions (I don't always find it complete, however). Last fall I did two postings on the filming of I am Legend, the largest film production I have seen in the city, running over two weeks - click here for the first posting and here for the second. This week alone there have been two motion pictures filming in Washington Square Park, a popular venue for filming owing to its attractive environs (the row houses on the North side, e.g.) and iconic and recognizable elements such as the Washington Arch. Sunday night a car crash was being filmed - this was scheduled for 2-3 AM after the Park's closing. Generally the film crews are cooperative and accommodating to the community and those around the sets. Yesterday morning I happened across another film being made. During a break in the filming, passersby were allowed to resume walking in the shooting areas, so I was able to snag a few photos. I was surprised to learn this was a major motion picture - The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Part 2. I never saw part one and am not familiar with any of the original actors. I am not sure who the two women in the photo are and whether they are major or minor characters ...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants is about young (teenage) girls. A little sad and a little romantic movie about their last summer. And these two girls just look so not "Sisterhood" :)

Unfortunately we have less and less film crews in Prague. All of american productions are moving to east, because we are not cheaper for them anymore. Friend of mine is quite frequently transporting film cars to Bulgaria, Romania etc. from (our) Czech Republic.

Anonymous said...

interesting--but I don't know the movie either--although from the few times I've been to your city, it seemed nearly everyone could have belonged to a movie set...

Waldo Oiseau said...

I don't know who those girls are either. I saw the first Sisterhood movie and it was about a pair of jeans, so maybe the second one is about mismatched outfits? :)

Anonymous said...

I got your "traveling pants" right here.

Annie said...

Did you hear that Bloomberg's office has proposed a law that would limit photography on the streets of NYC?

Brian Dubé said...

annie - yes. I wrote about this on my Revernd Billy posting on July 28th. It has caused some controversy.

Anonymous said...

I suppose you get used to seeing sights you describe. I don't know if I could. It might bring back our dead downtown.

Brookville Daily Photo-Theme Day

Neva said...

I would say minor definitely!

Kimmie said...

There was a whole Paramount Studios film shoot on Orchard and Ludlow in the LES yesterday afternoon running into last night... bunches of car crash scenes and buildings falling on cars and all that good stuff.

Anonymous said...

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants is a great book and set of films for young girls. It's all about traveling, learning about other cultures, learning some of life's greatest lessons, and growing up. It's about standing out beyond the struggles of life. www.bestinjaco.com