New York Daily Photo Analytics

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Performance Z-A

I assumed the Ring Dome Pavilion installed at Lieutenant Petrosino Square was just a whimsical piece of public art. Not so. This structure provided a setting for Performance Z-A: a Pavilion and 26 Days of Events at Storefront - a series of 26 evening events, performances, concerts and screenings to celebrate the Storefront's 25th anniversary. The Storefront for Art and Architecture is located in a unique triangular ground-level micro space at 97 Kenmare Street in the Little Italy/SOHO area. Click here to learn about them. The pavilion itself was designed by Korean architect Minsuk Cho of Mass Studies in Seoul and is made of 1,000 off-the-shelf plastic hoops attached with plastic ties, supported by a thin steel structure. The hoops were fitted with electroluminescent wire. Here is a video of the installation at Youtube. Although the month-long event itself has passed, I would recommend a visit anytime to the Storefront. It's an amazing little space you won't forget ...

Note: Lieutenant Petrosino Square is a tiny, triangular "pocket" park located between Cleveland Place, Kenmare Street and Lafayette Street. It adjoins the renowned Eileen's Cheesecake - click here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Igloo-esq, Neat!

indieperfumes said...

Wild looking. There is so much going on in NYC, especially in the Fall, it's hard to even try to keep up with it all. I guess you have to pick your battles, as it were...

marley said...

Yet another great photo that really captures the diversity of New York as I remember it from my visit, when I fell in love with the city. A few months ago I was looking on the web for photos of New York and came across your blog and thought what you did was cool. It has inspired me to start my own photo blog of Cheltenham, UK.(I know one exisists already but you can't have to much of a good thing!) This is a really cheeky comment to ask if you would add me to your list of daily photo blogs. Check out my fledgleing blog at www.cheltenhamdailyphoto-marley.blogspot.com. Don't know if this is the done thing in the world of blogging but it's all new to me! Thanks for your time.

Anonymous said...

Intéressant ! La structure rend cet assemblage très léger. Restera-t-elle de façon permanente ou sera-t-elle déplacée dans un autre endroit? Je note l'adresse des cheesecakes ! Claudine

• Eliane • said...

Oh, it's still there? Is it going to be permanent? Have you seen it at night? It is really enchanting.