New York Daily Photo Analytics

Monday, April 28, 2008

That's Quite a Briefcase

In January I did a story on a red car and my impressions of those who embrace red. In the posting I also wrote a brief synopsis of the symbolisms regarding red in different times and places - you can see the posting here. I am intrigued by individuals who make a statement using red attire or possessions - it certainly is not the color of the shy and withdrawn. And personally I like the color - I have a few articles of clothing in bright red, but wear them infrequently and quite judiciously.
There are other colors, like purple, that also send messages. I am reminded of a period of time where I was carrying papers to and from my office in a slim, translucent, plastic PURPLE, briefcase. This is rather unusual for a male business owner, but I have that privilege. And NYC is quite accepting of creative types and the unconventional. However, one day I had a salesman who called on me. He stepped into my office, noticed my purple case and remarked in a sarcastic tone of voice - "that's quite a briefcase." I was actually quite insulted and found his remark very inappropriate, but I let it go. After he left, it occurred to me I could have retorted: "but that's why your on that side of the desk, and I'm on this side." But that would have just been nasty :)

6 comments:

Thérèse said...

First thing which came to mind "red cars" and statistics... then I clicked on your link...

Anonymous said...

Any idea who the musician/band is? I'd love to check out their sound.

Brian Dubé said...

anon - i think there was a CD that said "atmoscene" a group he might have been in but i did not get his name

Anonymous said...

Thanks!

Chuck Pefley said...

Great lesson!

Is the band in Washington Square?

Just Roaming The Cities said...

I, too, love red. It is a bold color and sort of demands its own respect. I have noticed that some people will NEVER wear red clothing or don't won much red. They usually settle for pastels because their personality is milder.
Cool shot.