New York Daily Photo Analytics

Friday, July 04, 2008

Gold Mining

Today of course is July 4th, Independence Day in the USA. I have never been a flag waving American, in fact, my generation was particularly unpatriotic. I grew up in a time of protest - the Vietnam War, draft card burning and marches to Washington. But as I have aged and learned, I have a greater appreciation for what this country has to offer.
I am not blind to the problems here - over emphasis on money and capitalism, extreme ethnocentrism, racism, lack of national medical coverage, exportation of American values and culture, dumbing down of society, decline in educational achievement, decline of the dollar and rise of the Euro.
But in the course of my business and personal life, I have met thousands of individuals from across the world and conversation frequently turns to culture and countries. I get positive impressions of this country from them.
There is a clamor to get into this country - an average of one half of a million immigration applications are filed each month. Of course, the quality of life is certainly excellent in many other places (some would argue better) and most non-USA citizens are happy to live in their native land.
I think the biggest thing I have learned is that freedom and opportunity are not hollow words. For the ambitious, skilled and hard working, there is opportunity in America. But here, like anywhere else there is competition, and many outsiders are deluded into thinking that all Americans are wealthy and that the streets are paved with gold. TV, film and the desire for instant gratification all contribute to these false ideas about the American Dream. There is plenty of gold here, but it has to be mined ...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

...indeed it does.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I think you citizens in the United States somewhat take what you already have for granted, say freedom of speech, tolerance of different values, etc. Maybe more appreciation of that is needed.

Plus: I saw your blog often before I visited NYC in late June. It's my first time went there, and actually, first time visited your COUNTRY. I like your city very much, and she leaves me a very good impression. esp her architectures and streets. But doesnt include the subway of course...)

Jossta

From HK

Eki said...

I like the reflective words you wrote to accompany the picture.

Happy 4th of July. Happy Independence Day! May the spirit of that day as embodied in the preamble of your constitution lives on and becomes the beacon to every soul longing for independence, equality, and justice.

Anonymous said...

As big as NYC is it all fits very well under one small flag.

Isn't that special?

I think this is one of the best photographs I have seen today. It is very encouraging and your photography is spot on.

I really admire your selection of what to photograph and your critical eye for composition, lighting and texture.

Abraham Lincoln
—Brookville Daily Photo

Brian Dubé said...

anon & eki - im glad u bring to our attention what we have here. we really do take it for granted.

abraham - thanks. i had hoped for a more "special" photo, but i think this served the need. and as my article developed, it became more appropriate to the theme.

Lynette said...

Thank you for a thought-provoking post for the 4th of July.

Portland Oregon Daily Photo

j said...

great post.

Anonymous said...

Brian
Thanks for your post and clever Independent day comment.
I'm a fan of USA and American citizens. Me too,for the ambitious,
skilled and hard working.... Competition is good thing.
I'll visit your city in august.
So,everyday I visit your blog(and
Ming,Eliane,MarieNoyale blogs...)
Many,many thanks for sharing