New York Daily Photo Analytics

Monday, November 02, 2009

Halloween Parade 2009


Preparations for the annual Village Halloween Parade start at 2 PM, five hours in advance of the parade itself. For more information about the parade and previous years' photos, see the links below. This year, with the parade on a Saturday, I decided to head to the setup area early in the day. This is actually a good time for perusing and photographing the many participants who arrive early - there are no crowds and still some daylight.

It was a very fortuitous decision, because as the parade began, slowly did the rain, starting as a light drizzle and building to a rain heavy enough to put a damper on the event. What began as crowds crushing to see the parade became a mass exodus as paraders and spectators began fleeing. I have no idea how many marchers remained, but I imagine a good number were not daunted after all the work and preparations that many put into this yearly extravaganza.

I did some photography for a short time in the rain, holding a umbrella at the same time, but this quickly became too tedious and with risk of damaging my camera equipment.
Participating in the parade, either as a photographer or a parader, requires planning and strategy. In all the years I have been to the parade, I do not remember rain. But nature is not guaranteed to cooperate...

NOTE: A history of the parade, with links and photos from the past three years can be found on my previous postings: Halloween Parade Preview 2006, Halloween Parade 2006, Village Parade 2007 Preview, Village Halloween Parade 2007, Village Halloween Parade 2007 Part 2, Halloween Parade 2008, Halloween Parade 2008 Part 2

7 comments:

Bergson said...

i 'm afraid

Fashionable Earth said...

We also took a bunch of photos - see if you can stop yourself :) !!
http://fashionableearth.org/blog/2009/11/02/a-very-nyc-halloween/

Gunn said...

Wow, ...... What a DAY!
Superb shots!:-)

Real estate Toronto said...

Great pictures. I like especially the woman with white eyes, looks scary. It's a pity that such a great event was interfered with bad weather. I hope next year it will be better. I'm looking forward to see the photos.

Regards,
Julie

Windows, Siding, Roofing and more... said...

In New York, architectural designs are changing everyday. People are looking forward for modern designs more.
Brooklyn windows
a2

PatMinNYC said...

A lot more people stayed and finished the parade than I expected both during and after the downpour - you got some good shots

http://photos.halloween-nyc.com/Street-Scenes/PatMinNYC/10094438_an4Vq#711910598_fjWRR

PatMinNYC

Eric Mesa said...

Slowly working my way through my RSS feed of your great blog. (I fell behind months ago) I was also here this year (my first time ever!) and you can see my photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericsbinaryworld/sets/72157622730154398/