New York Daily Photo Analytics

Monday, August 07, 2006

Pommes Frites

In the East Village at 132 2nd Avenue is the NYC mecca for authentic Belgian Frites - Pomme Frites. Most people find these French fries truly AMAZING. Apparently credit for the "French fry" goes to Belgium where the frietkot (fry shack) still exists. The secret is that they are fried TWICE. Go here for a recipe to make them yourself at the Original Belgian Fries Website. The other feature of the frites is that they are typically offered with many unique sauces (Pommes Frites offers 25 different ones), unlike the American fry, typically eaten with ketchup only. If you go to the Pommes Frites website you can get a video tour of their operation (update 1/16/12: no longer exists), where I have heard that they go through as many as 1000 pounds of potatoes per day...

6 comments:

Eric said...

I agree the Belgium have the best expertise when it comes to French fries. Although they are very fatening I will definitely check on this place next time I am in New York.

(I know it sounds silly to go to NY to eat good French fries wen you live only 1,5 hour away from Brussels, but, well, it's muche more fun!

Brian Dubé said...

If you come, it's on me - and any other French friends you want to bring! Do you have the same type of thing in Paris?
Brian

Kate said...

Love this photo!

Anonymous said...

Un tres bel hommage a la Pommes Frites. A mon prochain voyage je passerais y faire un tour. Superbe

Anonymous said...

Really cool photo and comment. I like the outside of the place too, absolutely charming. I love fries too and this would be a place on my to-do-list next time I'm in NY.

sLesTa said...

this is one of my favorite place to get snacks in new york!! i miss it badly now that i see the pictures :( !!!